Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default Fluke 79 acting up

I want the 87-V I guess. I won't buy used though. While I got your
attention, do the digits on you 77 appear solid black? Mine look a bit
brownish and I don't remember if they were ever black. I've had it new
since around 1987 if memory serves me correctly.

There are a few authorized Fluke dealers within driving distance from me.
I guess I'll make some calls tomorrow and see what prices I can get. These
places don't sell to joe consumer so they usually have competitive
pricing.

I've only ever bought used, in this case it was a demo or some sort and
comes in the original box with accessories and warranty, I'm not gonna pay
another hundred bucks to get to break the shrinkwrap. I saw a surprising
number of new and nearly new Flukes on ebay, with many going substantially
below retail. For some silly reason, I dislike the new wedge shaped models
and prefer the classic style. I have no logical reason for that though as
it's a tool.

The digits are black on the 77, though some of the segments are a bit washed
out. I fixed that years ago by washing the zebra strips but it came back
eventually.