Posted to sci.electronics.repair, sci.electronics.design, alt.home.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv
G-squared G-squared is offline

Default Repairing LCD TV - Westinghouse LTV-32W3

On Feb 3, 7:07*pm, "Jerry G." wrote:
I would try to troubleshoot the set to find the components that

have
become thermo sensitive, and change them. Then I would put in a fan

if I
thought the set was running too hot.

If you have some thermo sensitive components in the TV set, with

time
they will keep degrading until they fail. At this point, the

problem may
be more serious.

--

Jerry G.

wrote in message

FWIW, we have a Samsung SIR-T165 ATSC tuner to go with the HD ready
50" DLP. The tuner was getting flaky when it got warmed up and would
begin stuttering. I found a rather warm IC (80 + pin Quad Flat Pack)
that seemed to operate better when cooler. I added a low speed fan (12
volt unit running on 7) 3 years ago and it's working fine. The tuner
has a VERY convenient way to do this as it has a 4 pin connector
identical (including pinout) to an IDE hard drive. I snagged a mating
connector from a junk PC power supply and connected the fan between
the +12 and +5. A little hot glue anchored the fan to the case.

Some faults are easier to 'band-aid' than to actually repair. I don't
know if is bad solder outside the chip or a potential fault inside it
but it has run over 6000 hours 'broken'.

I also have an old Sony digital audio processor that was inproperly
heat sinked on a regulator chip. It's not very common but not unheard
of to ship marginal design units.

SO, if the fan makes it work, enjoy it and don't lose sleep over it.

GG