Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.home.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Repairing LCD TV - Westinghouse LTV-32W3

"SoCalCommie" wrote in message
. net...
wrote in message

I am trying repaire my LCD TV Westinghouse LTV-32W3. I purchased it 1
1/2 year ago - it worked OK for about 1 year. After warranty expired
it works OK for about hour, after 1 hour the following symptoms
appeared:
http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.c...Bad-TV-2-1.wmv
The TV on the left is a good one, on the right Westinghouse LTV-32W3

I come to conclusion that some parts in the TV are getting too hot. To
test my theory I removed TV's back cover to allow better air
circulation - now TV is working without problem. What I want to do is
to install small fan to make a better cooling.
I am not a TV technician, so here are my questions:

electronics parts that are getting hot are enclosed in a metal case:
http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.c...v/IMG_0014.JPG
here electonic parts with metal case removed:
http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.c...v/IMG_0017.JPG
I guess the metal case is to prevent electromagnetic transmition - can
I make more holes in a metal case without causing electromagnetic
interferrence?

I plan to put inside a small fan, similar to one used in computers -
can you recommend one?
Can you recommend simply converter from 110 AC to 5V(?) DC to power
this fan?

Thanks,

Zalek

If it was me, I'd put a small fan in the lower right (viewed from the
back) section pointing towards the side (just below where the power cable
connects) to suck air from the inside. You can get those same style fans
in 115 VAC (GOOGLE is your friend) so as not to have to deal with another
power supply. BTW, computer fans are usually 12 V not 5 V.

--
SoCalCommie

If it was me, I think I would try to figure out what is actually wrong with
it first. Fitting a fan is attacking the symptoms rather than the cause, and
if a component such as an electrolytic cap is failing, or a bad joint is
starting to show up, it is unlikely that its demise will be arrested for
good, merely by the addition of a fan. It's a bit like going to the doctor
and telling him that you get short of breath when you climb the stairs, and
his 'fix' for your problem being to suggest installing a stairlift ...

An intermittent problem such as is shown in your film, and that is clearly
heat related, should not be difficult to find, if you approach it armed with
a hair dryer, and a can of freezer. If it then proved to be an
'unrepairable' fault such as one of the LSIs, or even just a bad joint on
one, that you likely wouldn't be able to fix with basic home soldering
equipment, then you might consider that your TV has terminal lung cancer,
and the best you can do is to get what remaining life out of it that you
can, by installing that 'stairlift' !

Arfa