Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jamie Jamie is offline

Default Fluke 79 acting up

James Sweet wrote:

"James Sweet" wrote in message
news:Woopj.1074$f73.936@trndny08...

This thing has performed flawlessly for many years, but when I turned it
on today something was not right. The ohms range flickers random readings,
with no probes plugged in I get around 230K on the display, or 2.22M,
depending on the range, which would imply that the problem is ahead of the
scaling circuit. When I switch to the low ohms range, the reading starts
around 240 ohms and then drops to -0.00 over a period of 10 seconds or so,
frequency reading works, but AC volts reads 70mV when plugged into a 120V
outlet. Something strange is going on! I realized that I don't currently
have a backup meter, I suppose I could use this as an excuse to buy a true
RMS Fluke, I don't think I can bring myself to buy a cheapie, except
perhaps as a backup. Anyone run into this?

Sorry, it's a 77, not a 79.

did you check the fuse in it?

--
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

"Daily Thought:

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT
THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"