Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.home.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Dan Espen Dan Espen is offline

Default Repairing LCD TV - Westinghouse LTV-32W3

writes:

I am trying repaire my LCD TV Westinghouse LTV-32W3. I purchased it 1
1/2 year ago - it worked OK for about 1 year. After warranty expired
it works OK for about hour, after 1 hour the following symptoms
appeared:
http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.c...Bad-TV-2-1.wmv
The TV on the left is a good one, on the right Westinghouse LTV-32W3

I come to conclusion that some parts in the TV are getting too hot. To
test my theory I removed TV's back cover to allow better air
circulation - now TV is working without problem. What I want to do is
to install small fan to make a better cooling.
I am not a TV technician, so here are my questions:

electronics parts that are getting hot are enclosed in a metal case:
http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.c...v/IMG_0014.JPG
here electonic parts with metal case removed:
http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.c...v/IMG_0017.JPG
I guess the metal case is to prevent electromagnetic transmition - can
I make more holes in a metal case without causing electromagnetic
interferrence?

I plan to put inside a small fan, similar to one used in computers -
can you recommend one?
Can you recommend simply converter from 110 AC to 5V(?) DC to power
this fan?

Those bands are the most common failure mode for LCDs.
There is some kind connector inside with a lot of pins.
The heat is making them loose contact.

I don't think it's cost effective to repair, but if you
succeed let us know. I have 2 LCDs with this problem
that I'm going to dispose of in the spring cleanup.