Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] wm_walsh@hotmail.com is offline

Default LCD Monitors- how to choose ?

Hi!

Problem arises one or two years afterwards. The LCD
monitors started to die off.

What brand and model are the monitors you are buying?

I ask because I suspect that there is something that all these
monitors have in common (other than a fluorescent backlight tube) that
is causing the failure.

Also--how are these panels being used? Are they being left on around
the clock? Is the environment they operate in a harsh one--is there
high humidity or something else that would be hard on electronics?

I mean, after a year or two and many started to drop like
flies. It's getting to the point that it ain't funny anymore.

I really can't help but think that it is something about the monitors
you have purchased, or something about how they are being used that is
causing this kind of failure.

I too have a large number of Samsung Syncmaster LCD panel monitors
under my control, the majority of which are at least four years old.
They are kept on during normal business hours, although a screen saver
comes on after a while. Not a one of these has failed.

Secondly, while it is not the easiest thing to do, replacement
backlights are available and can be installed if you're willing to
take the time.

LED-based backlighting is still a rather new idea, and only a few
panel makers are presently using it. I'm not aware of any desktop flat
panel displays that are backlit with LEDs, but some may already be on
the market. As to whether or not they'll be more reliable--in theory,
the reliability should be every bit as good as a fluorescent backlight
or even better. LEDs last a very long time.

Another thing I can think of--if you haven't already, try turning the
brightness down. An awful lot of monitors are sold with the brightness
turned all the way up. This is unnecessary and could shorten the
lifetime of the backlight.

I'd also look at the power coming to the monitors--is the circuit to
which they are attached working properly and large enough to stand the
load? If it isn't...this could be another possibility.

How do I know **FOR SURE** which brand and/or which
model of LCD
monitors are equipped with LED array backlighting ?

Any reputable company that is selling a display model claiming to
feature LED backlighting should be assurance enough. As long as you're
dealing with a reputable manufacturer or company, you will get what
you expect to be buying.

William