Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,sci.electronics.repair,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default LCD Monitors- how to choose ?

With 10 to 20 dead LCD monitors a week, of different brand / model,
there is just no way we can pry open all of them, get the darn
fluorescent tube out, look up a supplier online (seems that only the
online suppliers sell the tubes), go buy from the supplier, and try
putting the damn skinny tube back into that little space.

No way. It's just no f*cking way !

And the darnest thing is that the LCD monitors all use DIFFERENT &
INCOMPATIBLE TYPES of the fluorescent tube ! Why can't they just unify
the design into one-single-type-of-fluorescent-tube so that people at
least can buy the thing anywhere, and replace them when necessary?

That's a LOT of monitors for sure.

Sell them on ebay, LCDs with dead backlights do/did fetch a surprising
amount.

It's all about cost, for consumer use they will usually last until they're
obsolete, are you using low end consumer grade monitors or good professional
grade?

We have some at work that are much older than 2 years which still work fine.
Is power saving enabled to turn them off when not in use?

Some people swear by these things, they do save a lot of space and energy,
but we've got a few high end LCDs and even those don't look nearly as good
to my eyes as a good and properly adjusted CRT. Sure you automatically get
perfect geometry and convergence, but there's still an "LCD look" to it, I
have no better words to describe it, but the image looks unnatural, and yes,
I always run them at the native resolution for the panel.