Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,sci.electronics.repair,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default LCD Monitors- how to choose ?

"pg" wrote in message
LCD is replacing CRT. This happens in my company also.

My company has been buying LCD monitors to replace the CRT monitors,
in stages. When old CRT dies, we replace it with an LCD. No problem
there.

Problem arises one or two years afterwards. The LCD monitors started
to die off. Actually, it's not the LCD that conked. It's the
fluorescence tube behind the LCD that quit working.

When we were using CRTs, it normally lasted 5 to 7 years before it
gives us problem. Now with LCD monitors, the attrition rate is just
too high ! I mean, after a year or two and many started to drop like
flies. It's getting to the point that it ain't funny anymore.

With CRT monitor, if there is any problem, most of the time we can get
someone to repair it. With LCD monitor, once the fluorescence tube
refuses to shine anymore, there is no way to replace it. The damn
thing is fused/glued together at the back of the LCD panel in such a
way that it is next to impossible to remove/replace the tube. Even if
we can remove the fluorescence tube, we can't find anyone who sells a
new tube !

So it's a total write-off. No remedy. No nothing. Nada.

Of course we are replacing the dead LCD monitors with new LCD
monitors, but I need help.

I've read somewhere that some new LCD monitors got their back-lighting
from LED arrays, rather than the useless fluorescence tube, and the
one uses LED arrays can last longer.

The thing is, when we go to buy LCD monitors, often there is no
indication which brand / model uses the fluorescence tube, and which
brand / model uses LED arrays.

I've also heard that many manufacturers outsource their LCD monitor
production to companies in China or India, and there are LCD monitors
with the exact brand and model, a batch may comes with LED array
backlighting, but another batch, perhaps from another plant, comes
with fluorescence tube.

Therefore, my question to all of you is this:

How do I know **FOR SURE** which brand and/or which model of LCD
monitors are equipped with LED array backlighting ?

Thank you !

The fluorescent tubes can be replaced, I've done it on a number of LCD
monitors. It's no walk in the park, but it's far from impossible.

Yes some now have LED backlights, though high brightness LEDs don't last
forever either and it remains to be seen how well they hold up in this
application. LED backlight technology is relatively new, if a monitor uses
it, it will probably say so prominently.

Another option is to buy CRT monitors, they're a dime a dozen, I wouldn't
trade mine for anything.