Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Refinishing softwood floors

On Jan 26, 10:03*am, G Francis wrote:
I recently bought an abandoned farm house from the the early 1900's.
It has softwood flooring that has been covered by carpet and vinyl. *I
would like to restore the wood and have been given conflicting advice
about softwood. *Is it okay to sand the floor with a lower grit to get
the adhesive off the floor, or should I only use higher grit? *Is the
overall process the same as hardwood floors? *Thanks for any help.

What reason have you been given to use finer grit. Glue will clog up
paper I would think fast but with old wood coarse grit is the quickest
way to get to good wood, you might have to remove alot, check the
thickness first it may have been sanded many times before and be to
thin to sand. Abandoned, water damage may not come out.