Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default Melting (smelting) gold

"DT" wrote in message
news:I6OdnWZ1TqXh3AranZ2dnUVZ_rPinZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
So, what is the deal, can you melt your nuggets to consolidate them or
do
you need a license?

Effective Jan 1, 1975, that is no longer true. Prior to that date, it
was
illegal to melt or otherwise process gold without a federal license under
penalty of $10,000 fine and 10 years in prison, as I recall. There are
currently no regulations pertaining to the ownership or processing of
gold.

What reason does this person have for melting his gold?

It was just something that came up in conversation, all his gold is
natural
nuggets and flakes.

--
Dennis

Sadly, when you melt gold found in nature, especially if it runs low in gold
(less than 90%), melting it usually results in some pretty ugly material.
Pure gold has a wonderful color and luster, which is readily lost when
alloyed, When the alloys are dirty, such as are typically found in nature,
it's not unusual for the gold to turn out frosted and dull in appearance.
The nuggets have been abraded and mauled, plus aged (for coloration) such
that they tend to be far more attractive. I'd recommend you friend either
enjoy what he has the way it is, or learn refining techniques and purify the
metal before casting a common bar.

Harold