Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Completely & Utterly OT; Handyman charges

On 2008-01-19 18:11:25 +0000, Adrian said:

HI All

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 17:05:09 -0000, "Steve Walker"
wrote:

Dave wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:

I think that there is truth in that, but I don't like £49.95. It
looks like a cheap shop gimmick for £50. £45 or £55 looks better
IMV.

After reading my last night's post, I tend to agree with you about
that.

Me too - £49.95 looks like Netto, £55 looks like M&S.

I've agonised over that one as well (with my glass crafts
on the open-air markets).

Eventually decided on pricing pretty much everything in multiples of 5
euro - saves a heck of a lot of mental gynastics working out totals,
and carrying around loads of coin change -
and I don't think that customers are fooled anymore by the ' €24.99 is
much cheaper than €25.00' trick....

No. Especially as presumably you are not selling junk.

Do you remember that some goods (especially consumer electricals) used
to be priced in Guineas? This was effectively the opposite way up.

Shor myself in the foot in the run-up towards Christmas - offered 10%
off everything - (worked well!) - but used up loads of coins to give
people their discount...

They do say that it still works for larger purchases like cars and
houses - don;t know how true that is ? Got a car to sell in the near
future - maybe I'll try the €XX,750 approach and see if it works...?

XX+1,250 or XX+1,500 would be better. Then you can come down.

I think the 'Netto VS M&S' simile is a good one for the craft sales
though - thanks guys !

... and hopefully you have better than M&S offerings anyway.