Posted to alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

Default How do you remove the outside of a washing machine.

In article ,
says...

I have a Kenmore Washing machine that is about 15 years old.
I believe the switch that turns it OFF when the drum is spinning is
broken. The problem is that it washes just fine but will not go into
the drain and rise cycle. The same thing happens when you leave the
door open so I thought maybe the switch is broken.

OK, if your machine is made by Maytag and is their direct drive model (my
Kenmore is), here is what you do:

Remove the two screws in the lower corner of the backsplash.

Tilt the backsplash panel upwards.

There will be two spring clips holding the base to the back. Stick a screw
driver in the first 'loop' and pry it backwards to pop each clip out.

The entire base will now pivot forward and can be pulled off to access the
switch. They stock replacement switches at Sears Repair Centers if you have one
nearby, otherwise go to Sears.com and order it online. Any decent appliance
repair center will also have them, it's a universal switch that covers a lot of
models.

Here is a how-to link, click on "Removing the cabinet..."

http://www.bobvila.com/wwwboard/messages/262243.html

This is also a good time to check the plastic clutch dogs which break over
time. Pop the top off the agitator and look in to see if there are any broken
pieces. A kit to replace the dogs is about $9.00.

--
Dennis