Tom McDonald

Default Copper Casting In America (Trevelyan)

Seppo Renfors wrote:

Gary Coffman wrote:

snip

Do you have evidence of the existence of such villages in the area?

I posted information of this in a reply to Tom.

Seppo,

I don't recall that. Could you re-post it?

From what I can gather, ancient native copper mining in the UP was
seasonal work, done from temporary encampments at the mine sites.
This is not a subject where I can claim any expertise, so I don't hold
that as absolute fact. Any hard evidence of permanent habitations
near the mines would be welcome.

I'm not certain of their "permanency", but villages they did have.

Again, for the main time period and region under discussion
(Middle and Late Archaic), what evidence of villages do you
have? These folks were hunter-gatherers, and villages in the
sense we tend to use the term weren't typical. In addition, we
don't have a lot of habitation sites from this period. I'd
appreciate any evidence you have of same.

Tom McDonald