Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett Ed Sirett is offline

Default TCT Core Drills

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 21:31:33 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

After 2 years of venting tumble dryers, fitting waste pipes etc I
finally decided to buy a TCT Core Drill set from Toolstation. Cheap
enough @£25 ish so worth a punt and its seems pretty well engineered.
www.toolstation.com part number 41361.

It came with; 30, 50 and 110mm core. 200mm Hex and SDS arbors. 8mm
Taper Guide Drill. 2 x Drift keys.

No instructions however! Since I've never used one before, a few
questions;

Do I use the hammer action on my SDS?

I assume the best way is to drill straight through with an 8mm extra
long drill, then drill from each side?

The 8mm taper drill guide looks pretty much like an 8mm masonry drill
and appears to be a taper fit. I assume the drift keys are to remove
it, but why 2?

I have a 620w Wickes SDS with clutch, powerful enough? Failing that I
have a Wickes High Torque mains drill, around 85Nm torque - but no
clutch, just a large side handle. Don't fancy using that much :-)

I've e-mailed Toolstation asking for instructions, but obviously no
reply yet.

Like you I initally bought a TCT unit. The results were noisy dusty and
the bits didn't last long. Eventually I had to switch on the hammer to
make any progress.

I'm on my second lot of diamond cores now (theft not wear) except for the
big ones ( 117 and 127.) They do seem to last a long time.

I'm on my 6th or 7th SDS drill (All bar one due to theft).

The hardest for me is keeping the line absolutely level and square or
else the drill jams and the clutch (you better have one) slips.