Harold & Susan Vordos

Default drive pin on R8 collets

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
Harold sez:

"I guess you might say it's a personal judgment call."

Yeah, Harold and a good call it is. The original designers had good

reason
to include the pin and it should be left in. IMO, those that rant about

the
pin not being really necessary are just looking for an excuse to justify
their sloppy procedures.

Bob Swinney

That's more or less that to which I was alluding, Bob, but there are those
that feel their decisions are just as valid as mine.

I'm anal enough that I tend to jump through all the hoops when I'm on the
machines. I wipe out the spindle and wipe off the collet, then hit both
with a blast of air before assembling. I also am heads up enough to avoid
engaging the drawbar before the collet is properly seated in the spindle.
I'm the kind of guy that always wipes down the ways and oils the machine
before beginning work, and then I stop during the day and repeat. The oil
on my ways is ALWAYS fresh, never dirty. I tend to preach that concept,
but not many appreciate being told, so I don't do it any longer.
Hopefully those that didn't do it have learned to do so now. It's very
important to the longevity of ways and screws.

The one benefit of not having the indexing pin, and I don't take advantage
of it, is that if you use something like a Sjogren collet head (I do) and do
considerable heavy work, you tend to get a definite wear pattern from the
collet. If the collet had the ability to fit randomly, that would not
occur. To me, that is not enough of a reason to remove the indexing pin.

Harold