Jim Levie

Default drive pin on R8 collets

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 11:34:54 -0700, Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

Mixed reviews on that subject. Personally, I'd fix it, but there are some
that go out of their way to remove it. It's nice to know that the collet
isn't going to spin on you when you tighten the draw bar, which is it's real
intended purpose, not to drive the cutting tool, although I have no doubt
that it also helps in that department. In all my years on the machines
I've never run a mill without one, nor have I ever busted one, although the
shank of one of my boring heads is a little buggered up from one from a
crash many years ago. I guess you might say it's a personal judgment
call.

I noticed that a mill I was using in one "high end shop" had had the
indexing pin removed and asked the shop foreman about it. He told me that
it was really there for indexing of the collet to keep it from turning
when tighting or loosening the drawbar, but they'd pulled them from all of
the mills after someone engaged the drawbar and started tightening
it before the collet was indexed into the pin slot. The pin was soft
enough to shear off, but they had the devil of a time getting the collet
out without causing more damage.

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.