Roy

Default drive pin on R8 collets

On 30 Jun 2004 17:51:28 GMT, (Charles A.
Sherwood) wrote:

===I recently bought a used rockwell mill. There is no drive pin in the
===spindle that is suppose to engage with the R8 collet. My other mills
===do have drive pins. Is this a problem that I need to fix??
===I seem to remember this question before and it might be ok??
===
===thanks
===chuck

All the indexing pins, thats what it actually is and serves onbly that
purpose and thats to index the tooling........were removed from all
the machines in the USArmy machinist tech school, for no other reason
other than to eliminate a screwed up spindle or collet if a student
crashed the mill. An R-8 collet / spindle setup is self locking by
design, and the pin serves no part in driving it or keeping the collet
from rotating.

Its a mixed bag if you need to ndex your tooling replace it, other
than that its not needed.
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
I had no input whatsoever.