Dave Baker

Default drive pin on R8 collets

Subject: drive pin on R8 collets
From: (Charles A. Sherwood)
Date: 30/06/04 18:51 GMT Daylight Time
I recently bought a used rockwell mill. There is no drive pin in the
spindle that is suppose to engage with the R8 collet. My other mills
do have drive pins. Is this a problem that I need to fix??
I seem to remember this question before and it might be ok??

The drive pin is a redundant item which does no good anyway. Many old mills
have them broken off and are none the worse for it - mine included. The drawbar
and taper is what holds the collet in position. If you're taking such huge cuts
that something slips against that much locking force then no poxy little pin is
going to help much.

--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (
www.pumaracing.co.uk)