Default Extractor fan not extracting

flashgorman wrote:
Hi,

I have a hood type extractor fan over my hob. Lately this has given up on
its extracting duties. When I turn it on theres the usual whizzing noises
but no air is being sucked up into the hood. I took the cover off the hood
and removed the filter (pretty clean). There's a big fan that spins round at
an impressive rate but I can't feel any updraught of air into it. I climbed
on to the kitchen roof and checked that the vents are clear and you can feel
a slight draught coming from the vent.

Any clues?

Are you sure it really used to work?

If it really has got worse there's not much that can go wrong, check
that the fan is spinning at the right speed, clean the filter
thoroughly and then the only remaining possibility that I can think
of is a nest or some such in the duct.

--
Chris Green