Posted to rec.woodworking
blueman blueman is offline

Default To caulk or not -- base of porch column

" writes:
On Jan 11, 1:18*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

SFWIW, While SikaFlex not only makes a very good line of marine
sealants, their primary business is in the construction market.

Their tech service is very good and has an 800#.

As usual Lew, spot on. I beleive at this point Sika makes NP! and
actually owns them. We used to use Sikaflex XX? when I was a
commercial super doing tilt wall panels. We sealed all the joints
with that stuff, with joints and inch wide and 20 feet tall (or
more).

NEVER have I seen that fail. Ever.

We use NP1/Sika for everything from fixing concrete cracks, roof
flashings, masonry repair (seal your cracked mortar and bricks up with
that stuff!) and even work boot repair. It holds paint, masonry
sealers, sticks to everything and is completely UV proof. What more
could a repair contractor want? I honestly keep about 4 -5 tubes in
my truck of different colors.

I have heard several people recommend Sika but I haven't seen it
locally either in the Borgs (not surprising) or in the local building
supply store (I live in a Boston suburb).

How does Sika differ from the many so-called "premium" polyurethane
construction adhesives on the market?

It sounds like you use it as the swiss-army knife of heavy-duty
adhesives -- what makes it so special?

Thanks and sorry if the above sound like naive questions...