Posted to rec.woodworking
Chip Buchholtz Chip Buchholtz is offline

Default To caulk or not -- base of porch column

blueman wrote:
: In the process of reflooring my covered porch with T&G ipe, I had to
: remove the wood columns. The columns rest on the decking.
[...]
: Any suggestions?

: The columns are solid wood turnings with a 7x7 square base (integral
: to the column itself) consisting of a solid 6x6 core and 1/2 facing
: around the edges. I have restored them so that they are now in quite
: excellent condition.

Consider using a base plate of some impervious material between the
post and the deck, and then install trim to hide the gap.

For example, see http://www.vintagewoodworks.com/basmounbloca.html ,
but I'd probably make my own.

By the way, I've had good experiences working with Vintage Wooodworks.

--- Chip