Seppo Renfors

Default Copper Casting In America (Trevelyan)

Gary Coffman wrote:

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 08:52:10 +1200, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 02:58:26 -0400, Gary Coffman
wrote:
No trick to melting copper. Doing something intelligent with the molten
metal in an atmospheric environment is a different matter. As I noted
previously, casting pure copper is difficult, even today.

But the question is, how pure was the copper.

The native copper we've been discussing is very high purity.
The halfbreed ore does contain silver, but the silver isn't in
solid solution with the copper (copper-silver alloys are difficult
to produce). Instead it is in the form of distinct crystal inclusions
which would melt out and separate before the copper would melt.

In any case, copper can mostly by prevented from oxidising by melting
it under a layer of crushed coal or charcoal. In fact this method was
used for the production of largely deoxised (tough-pitch) copper in
recent time.

A graphite cover was used to prevent oxidation while melting (coal
won't work because of the large fraction of volatiles, charcoal might
be useable). But you also have to deal with the air entrained when
pouring.

A bottom pour furnace is helpful, but you really need deoxidizers in
the alloy to prevent severe porosity problems. Tin and zinc are the
preferred deoxidizers. Arsenic also works, but the fumes are deadly.
Lead makes the metal more fluid, and assists in filling out the mold.
None of those are naturally present in the native copper we're
discussing.

Also, as a side note, where is the evidence for coal mining or large
scale charcoal production in the area? You don't get to copper
melting temperatures with a simple wood fire. You need a forced
draft fire with a high carbon fuel.

For a people
without inert gas shielded continuous casting furnaces, it would be
nothing but frustration.

Don't under rate the cunning of anceint man.

Don't underestimate the difficulty of getting sound pure copper
castings. Low alloy bronzes and brasses (approx 0.5% to 1% tin
or zinc respectively) aren't too bad to cast, high alloy bronzes
and brasses are easy. But casting pure copper is hard, even
with today's technology.

Again, porosity is the problem, and that should show up on
radiographs, as it does for R666 (which certainly shows evidence
of being melted in atmosphere, though not necessarily evidence
of being cast), but none of the other artifacts presented show
that sort of porosity.

See:
http://www.iwaynet.net/~wdc/copper.htm

The 4th and 5th pictures down.

I believe we are agreed that only atmospheric casting was within
reach of the ancient Native Americans (or ancient Old World
founders for that matter), so we *should* see characteristic
porosity in any pure copper items they attempted to cast. Now
of course the Old Worlders had the advantage of ores which
did contain suitable deoxidizers. They weren't actually casting
pure copper. But the Michigan copper was essentially pure
native copper.

Isn't it just possible that you focus too strongly on perfect casting
- the imperfections resulting from casting may not have been a real
big deal to the ancient people.

--
SIR - Philosopher unauthorised
The one who is educated from the wrong books is not educated, he is