Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis[_2_] mac davis[_2_] is offline

Default nail gun for fence?

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 12:13:43 -0600, "LLBrown" wrote:

I have to redo the fence I put in 25 years ago and somehow I have gotten
older? There is no joy in the prospect of handnailing each plank. I see
nail guns in many price ranges and guages.. including staples. I have a
compressor, no problem there.

What would be the proper guage and length of nail to put up 1/2 inch treated
fencing?

Thanks,
Leonard

What they all said, Leonard, "screw it"..

My last fence was 230 6" redwood pickets and was built in one day by 4 of us..
I didn't even use my tools, Home depot rented a screw gun that would have been
way out of my tool budget for about $10 a day..

We drove over 1,000 screws that day and it was SO nice not to mess with nails..

If you want to nail, I'd say that you want at least 1 1/4 or 1 1/2" nails... My
dad always said to make sure that the nail went further into the board that held
the picket than the thickness of the picket.. YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing