Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Craftsman Radial Saw Motor

Frank Rowe wrote:
Help!

I have a 20+ year old Craftsman Radial Arm Saw (model 113.199450),
on
which the motor just burned out. Sears (noth the website and the
phone
help people) says they can no longer get that motor because it's not
made anymore. The motor part # was 63608. Neither can I get parts
for
it. At this point, the answer I get from Sears is to just pop on
over
to my local Sears store & buy a new saw. However, that's about $600
more than I was hoping to spend.

Are there any other sources in the world for replacement motors?
I've
googled the model & part numbers ti no avail. I was hoping someone
here knew of another electric motor source.

I've surfed previous messges in this group, and a recurring theme
mentions a centrifugal switch that's supposed to cut out the
starting
circuit. But neither the Sears psrts listing nor the motor itself
reveals anything that looks like a switch. Am I somehow missing it?

You're not going to find a third-party motor for that saw--the casing
is made specifically for that use, it's not a standard off-the-shelf
part. You might find a similar saw on ebay from which you can swap
the motor.

Find a good electrical shop--assuming that nothing proprietary and
unobtainable is broken in it then should be able to rebuild it as good
as new.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)