Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie S. Charlie S. is offline

Default Removing paint from an old baseboard radiator

We have an old convection baseboard radiator with paint chips peeling away
in certain sections. Some sections the paint is securely fastened to the
surface. Would like to strip all the sections down so as to make a smooth
surface.

This is an image of what the this radiator looks like.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icrosoft:en-US

I was thinking of scrapping the peeling part and using some sort of
stripper to remove the rest. This is also some minimal rusting and old
paint beneath.. Might need to do some sanding to make it smooth after
I'm finished. (I don't have a sander, but been wanting to buy one for
some time. So, that isn't a big issue. Any type of sander recommendation
would be appreciated.)

Any idea on how I might tackle this job. Not sure on what type of
chemical stripper to use or whether using some sort of heat gun might be a
better idea? (Amazon has one on sale)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A9859091M5468Z

I don't have one of these either, but in the spring I could use it to
remove old paint around the windows.

If the covers are truly rusting, and not just rust stained from something
else, you are probably better off replacing them. Paint remover works
very well and quicker on metal than on wood. Easy to do, but difficult in
my experience to totally get rid of rust. If they are aluminum, then it
would be easie to sand and repaint. If repainting rusted metal, it has to
be cleaned entirely of rust and then cleaned up and primed right away;
don't even want salty fingerprints on it.

Haven't done it, but I suspect that replacing the covers would be cheaper
and easier in the long-run.

After reading the posts I get feeling I may go with replacing the units.
Doesn't look like it will cost much more than $100 and will save me lots of
aggravation.

Thanks everyone for your help!