Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default Removing paint from an old baseboard radiator

Charlie S. wrote:
We have an old convection baseboard radiator with paint chips
peeling away in certain sections. Some sections the paint is
securely fastened to the surface. Would like to strip all the
sections down so as to make a smooth surface.

Both EXT and DanG gave you good info on the "how to" but I think
marson's suggestion of replacing the covers makes the most sense. If
your covers have a stamped pattern like the one you linked they would
be a PITA to power sand.

In the event you decide to redo, pay particular attention to the areas
of rust. Unless they are really superficial you'll need to remove all
finish from an area somewhat beyond the rust area by thorough sanding,
clean it well (no water) and use a rust conversion chemical to convert
the remaining ferric iron oxide (rust) to ferrous iron. Once done,
clean again, prime and paint. By "rust conversion chemical" I mean
something like Rusticide...things that contain a mild acid, often
phosphoric acid.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...