Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default Removing paint from an old baseboard radiator

They have probably had several coats of latex paint smeared on
them through the years. I would take them off the wall, get them
outside, and try washing them down with lacquer thinner to remove
the layers of latex down to the original baked enamel. Paint
remover does not work well on latex in my experience. The other
choice would be to feather out any chips, etc with sand paper,
remove any brush marks, etc. I would plan on using spray paint
for the finish. If you get all the way to bare metal, I would
shoot them with primer first.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Charlie S." wrote in message
We have an old convection baseboard radiator with paint chips
peeling away in certain sections. Some sections the paint is
securely fastened to the surface. Would like to strip all the
sections down so as to make a smooth surface.

This is an image of what the this radiator looks like.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icrosoft:en-US

I was thinking of scrapping the peeling part and using some sort
of stripper to remove the rest. This is also some minimal
rusting and old paint beneath.. Might need to do some sanding
to make it smooth after I'm finished. (I don't have a sander,
but been wanting to buy one for some time. So, that isn't a big
issue. Any type of sander recommendation would be appreciated.)

Any idea on how I might tackle this job. Not sure on what type
of chemical stripper to use or whether using some sort of heat
gun might be a better idea? (Amazon has one on sale)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A9859091M5468Z

I don't have one of these either, but in the spring I could use
it to remove old paint around the windows.