Wild Bill

Default Buyer beware! Smithy Company. Midas 1720

This was an appropriate place for your post. I'd expect that there are
others that are considering purchasing from the same company.
When I spoke with a Smithy rep, I detected a little too much arrogance about
their product quality. It's good for a company rep to be dedicated, but this
one was over-the-top.
Rather than explaining that I already knew that their machines were just
average Chinese machines, I just let him know I wasn't interested in being
on their mailing list.

Sorta ironic that they claimed the machine was highest quality, then condemn
it for inferior quality. Maybe you should file a complaint with the FTC just
for the hell of it, based upon the superior/inferiorior issue.

Enco (and the other dealers) sells a similar version to the one I have, at
about 50% of the Smithy price.

I purchased a used 1220XL 3in1 Smithy several years ago from a posting here
in RCM. I looked at it as a project, not a high grade machine. The seller
later stated that he was happy to have been able to sell it for about 30% of
what he'd paid.
I'd have been completely dissatisfied if I'd have bought the machine at full
price, based on the Smithy claims about quality.
Since I already had another lathe (which was capable of milling small
pieces), welder, drill press etc, I wasn't concerned about the initial
performance of the machine.

Using almost any metalworking machine effectively requires a certain level
of good mechanical skills and machining experience, IMHO.
I'm sure that some machine dealers exploit inexperience as a cover for the
poor quality of their machines.

After numerous modifications and corrections of the original factory
machining errors, these machines will do a satisfactory job within
reasonable expectations.
As I've mentioned before, the work envelope is fairly large on the milling
operation, and for small workpieces you'll need some rigid accessories to
hold your material securely. Those cheap China angle vises aren't
satisfactory for milling.

I know a guy that purchased a used machine similar to the one you have, made
by another company, and he likes it.
The 1220XL I have has the large cross feed/table with the covered feedscrew,
and I wouldn't have been interested in it if it would've been the small
version with the exposed screw.

Your options are probably limited to sell it, or fix it and use it. The
second choice certainly requires more effort (and time), but you'll know
what you have when you're done.
Another point about fixing it is that you might realize that the learning
experience is worthwhile.. that combined with being able to use it for what
you want to do might make the whole ordeal worthwhile.

WB

"Dan L." wrote in message
m...
I have a question and I would like to tell all prospective
metalworking machine buyers of a painful/expensive experience I had
with Smithy:

The question I had is there anybody out there that bought a Midas 1720
from Smithy and has had nothing but trouble from it?

As you can tell by my question, my story begins with the purchase of
the Midas 1720. I always dreamed of beginning a hobby in
metalworking. I didn't know where to begin. I found Smithy's
advertisement in a metalworking magazine. I received their brochure
and read as they claimed, "Smithy's are the highest-quality multi-use
benchtop machine tools in the world." "Smithy Lathe-Mill-Drill
machines offer the professional-quality precision and performance of
three machines in one." "When we say theses machines are versatile,
we mean it!" "You get the best machine: finest quality and high
accuracy." And finally they promised, "These machines are what we do
and we will take care of you. You have our promise." All these
claims, I quoted directly from their December 2000 advertisement.

Needless to say, I was impressed. I truly believed they would of made
a good partner with my new hobby because of my lack of knowledge and
their promises. I called their company and they recommend the Midas
1720. I spent the money I saved for two years and bought the Midas
1720.

From day one, I had nothing but trouble. I found the machine highly
inaccurate. The quill would actually flex on just about any cut. The
table had about ¼ inch backlash. After one month, a motor burnt out.
I also had an internal part in the mill head brake. When I took it
apart, I found the part to be made of a cheap pot metal.

Please note, I'm speaking now as someone with a little more
metalworking time under his belt. At the time, I had no idea what
kind of problems I was facing. I believed the problem was with my
inexperience and not with the machine. I still was in denial and
trusted Smithy.

This was all until the day I received their Father's Day 2004
advertisement. I glanced over it and stopped on a small story on the
bottom of page three. There, I saw a picture of the Midas 1720 with
an anti sign over it. I read in horror as Smithy denounced this
machine that they didn't bother to name. The article claimed how they
discontinued selling this machine but the company (China) is
continuing to import it. They were warning their customers not to buy
this machine because it's "Headstock & chuck too small for big 17"
swing." "Potential bearing wear: too small for swing." "Quill to
high, stroke too short making accurate milling difficult." "High
toolpost and vibration-prone design create flexing, diminish
accuracy." "Electrical design complicated and difficult to
troubleshoot." "No backlash adjustment of X & Y axis"

They went on to say that they sold this machine "years ago then
abandoned the project because the design just didn't work." All these
areas they describe was exactly the problems I was having. It then
dawned on me that it was in fact the machine that had the problem and
not me. So here's comes the painfully part.

Remembering Smithy's promises on how they would take care of their
customers, it was time to see if these were true. I called Smithy and
asked if they sold the Midas 1720. I was told that they no longer
sell it. This told me that the Father's Day advertisement was in fact
about the 1720. Even though the picture in the Father's Day ad showed
the 1720, I just wanted to be sure.

I spoke to one of their sales manager, henceforth shall be referred to
as T.S. I explained to him just what I have told you. There was a
moment of silence and without disputing the article or the machine,
T.S. asked, "What do you propose?"

Long story and several follow-up phone calls later, my proposal was
simple. Let's share the cost of this mistake. I would purchase a
comparable machine (1220LTD T.S. stated the 1220 replaced) with a 50%
discount. I don't know if this is the cost of manufacturing the
machine, but I suspect it is close. They might even break even on the
deal.

What do you think their answer was; remembering of course all their
claims of taking care of me? They offered to waive shipping if I
purchased the 1220 at their current sale price of $1895. So in
conclusion, I would have to spend around $4000 to get a machine that
can do what it was promised to do in the first place! Now you see the
painful part.

Well if nothing else comes of this, at least I was able to get this
off my chest. For future buyers of Smithy, read this and remember
caveat emptor! Oh buy the way; I did try to contact the Better
Business Bureau to resolve this issue and well, you get what you pay
for. That is entirely another posting.