Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default Silicone sealant: price range

In article 4769289e@qaanaaq, Andy Hall writes
On 2007-12-19 12:33:20 +0000, "
said:

How much should I be paying for a decent tube of silicone to seal
around basin and bath?
Screwfix have tubes ranging in price from 2 pounds to over 8 pounds.
At the top end of this price range are you paying for the "label"?

Nope.

You get what you pay for. Early failure means having to re-do the
job plus the cost of a silicone remover product to it. It's a false
economy to buy unknown cheap rubbish.

Dow Corning have a wide variety of products all with detailed
specifications on their suitability. IME, they exceed the claimed
specs and lifetimes.

Excellent products they may be but IME Dow Corning don't give a damn for
the little man and make it very difficult for the average Joe to get a
sniff of their detailed specifications. When I was looking for detailed
info on Dow Corning Plumba Thread there was absolutely nothing
immediately available in the world on the web, I eventually got the info
over the phone from the exceptionally helpful UK rep. He admitted that
the corporate machine was more interested in servicing industry than
small business so I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla