Posted to uk.d-i-y
Man at B&Q Man at B&Q is offline

Default dado rail on stairs

On Dec 19, 2:29 pm, "TheScullster" wrote:
"Peter" wrote

I'm trying to run a dado rail on a wall going up a set of stairs and
then along a landing.

I can't work out how to cut the joint where the horizontal (landing)
run meets the stair wall run. Am I right in my guess that you set the
internal angle on a sliding bevel, measure it with a protractor, and
then halve it to get the right saw cut on both pieces?

They're in the same plane ie not turning a corner...

Mark the rail location on the wall.
Stick two bits of card of rail-width on the wall so they cross at the
appropriate point.
Measure the angle between the card templates and bisect it.
Draw a line across the overlapped cards at this bisection angle.
Cut through both pieces of card with a sharp knife.
These ends will match the required angle of the dado rail.

Probably take less time to do than it did to write this

Especially as you don't need to mesasure or bisect anything.

Just draw the line across the overlapped cards between the two points
where the edges of the cards intersect.

MBQ