Posted to alt.energy.homepower,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair
sylvan butler[_6_] sylvan butler[_6_] is offline

Default Natural gas space heaters

On 18 Dec 2007 08:46:13 -0500, wrote:
the temp sensing bulb is on the back near a cold floor under a cold single-
pane window.

Not an ideal location... I wonder if the bulb could be relocated a
bit, and perhaps some insulation could be added on two or three sides of
the bulb to prevent cold drafts from the window above and perhaps allow
more effect from the radiant transfer of the warm room to the bulb.
Might could even put insulation on up to 5 sides of the sensor.

We might fix the first 2 problems by putting a 25 watt light bulb near
the temp sensor with a $15 line-voltage thermostat on the wall that
turns the bulb off when the room is warm enough.

Hmm, I prefer a passive solution if possible. And if that second
thermostat is plugged into an outlet on the exterior wall, it is likely
to have the same problems as the thermostat built into the heater.

If the $1275 DV-20E 81.5%-efficient direct vent and $3268 93%-efficient
Mantis condensing gas heaters are measured with LHV-based efficiencies
and we subtract 11% to compare apples to apples, the $229 vent-free
heater is more efficient, as well as a lot cheaper.

The 93% and 81.5% already account for the 11% loss in non-condensing.
It is erroneous to subtract it again. Never the less, the non-vented
heater is nearly 100% efficient, and the price looks very good in
comparison.

Kiddie's 900-0113 plug-in CO and explosive gas detector with battery backup
($48 from Amazon, with free shipping) would go well with this.

Absolutely.

sdb

--
What's seen on your screen?