Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Radiosrfun Radiosrfun is offline

Default Broken antenna on RC car

"jakdedert" wrote in message
.. .
radiosrfun wrote:
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
Jamie wrote:
Ah, Just cut up a hanger and stick it in there! ))

Why don't you 'Stick it', Jamie? You aren't the least bit funny, and
a cut off hanger stuck into the remote could cause a severe injury, or
death.

Piano wire, with a closed loop on the end makes a nice antenna,
becasue it won't catch on anything, and is springy enough to resist
damage.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Though a Hanger "could" work in a pinch, I agree with Michael. Most of
those RC type antennas are a thin metal which has some play to it. The
regular RC antennas are thinner and thus "lighter" than a "Hanger". It
would not drag the RC down - where a "Hanger" might. Depending on the
size of the RC unit, the "hanger" could make it top heavy! If the RC goes
under an item, the hanger - if not budging "could" cause internal damage
when the shock hits the base. The "RC type" would tend to give and
perhaps - "no" damage. I don't deal with RC stuff enough to get into all
"suppliers" but it seems someone should sell the antennas - maybe a hobby
shop. OR get some wire like Michael suggested and use it - some of the
"home remodeling" type stores seem to sell a variety of wire gauges.
Surely there is some out there somewhere for you to find. Go to a flea
market or Hamfest - you may find some "junk" stuff there from which to
pull an antenna from. I see that kind of stuff all the time.

Uh...okay. I'd agree with all the above, except the OP said "remote"
which I took to mean the transmitter. I'm still convinced that's what he
meant. If so little of the above actually applies.

That said, 'kids do the darndest things...' so having anything sharp
sticking out 'anywhere' could be a hazard; but I think when Jamie
recommended a coathanger he had tongue firmly in cheek (note the double
smileys).

As a kid, I *always* broke off the antennas on the cheap three-transistor
walkie-talkies I got...and used a chunk of 12 gauge solid copper wire
stuck down the stub as a replacement...worked passably well, despite not
being 'tuned' properly.

This thread got contentious when JANA apparently advised against trying a
substitute, based on some vague information about tuning. Then William
jumped in with a bunch of stuff not in the OP--or the response--about

One final note: in the OP, it was mentioned that he stuck a piece of wire
in there, and it 'didn't work'. I think he might look into the
possibility that some connection was broken inside the unit. Wire
'should' have worked, as long as it was connected solidly, nearly the
correct length--and solid, not stranded.

This is a 14 year old TOY, in all probability...nothing to get worked up
over.

jak

I've lost track of the OPs intent. Still - a "hanger" though possible -
would make the thing a bit eh - heavy. "I" am not getting all bent over it -
just adding an extra opinion to the thread. What the OP ends up doing - is
their thing. If I ask a question, I take in all advice then go from there.
Thats how it works. AND yes - some suggestions "may" seem a tad safer or
unsafe than others. Not every suggestion will work for every one. But it is
nice to see - the OP IS getting some replies.