Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_2_] Steve W.[_2_] is offline

Default Real leaves dipped in metal

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"William Noble" wrote:I believe this is a casting process, not a plating
process = put leaves in a
mold, heat and shake out ashes, pour in moltan metal - but perhaps someone
else has done this - you can also spray on a conductive paint and then
plate them

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bill, what you are describing is certainly possible, but I don't think it's
what the OP is after. It would produce a casting of the entire leaf. I
have seen leaves that have had only the membranes removed, with the skeleton
remaining. If this were then sprayed with a conductive coating and plated,
I think it would produce the result the OP wants: a leaf skeleton in gold.

What the OP is looking for is vacuum metallization.

http://www.dsm.com/en_US/html/dep/va...allization.htm
http://www.vacucoat.com/

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Life is not like a box of chocolates
it's more like a jar of jalapenos-
what you do today could burn your ass tomorrow!