Gary Coffman

Default Copper Casting In America (Trevelyan)

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 12:37:25 -0400, Yuri Kuchinsky wrote:
Gary Coffman wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 15:36:41 -0400, Yuri Kuchinsky wrote:
Copper Casting In America (Trevelyan)

snip
What a dark snake-pit of racism and bigotry our academic
establishment is... This never ceases to amaze me, I must
say.

This is the Dumbing-Down Crew that is hard at work to deny
the cultural achievements of Native Americans.

Realize that casting is primarily a technique used for cheap mass
produced items. It allows relatively low skilled workers to produce
large numbers of relatively complex identical items. Cold working is
a much more challenging, and artistically unique, way to produce
intricate copper ceremonial items. The smith has to have a higher
level of skill than the foundryman to produce equally complex work.

Yes, Gary, but an intelligent metalworker will use the
technique that is most appropriate for the situation.

Indeed! And atmospheric casting of pure native copper is *never*
the most appropriate method. Its use would be a clear indicator of
the lack of sophistication of the metalworking technology of the
people involved.

Given that, it seems to me that your claims of bigotry by a art
historian are unfounded. If anything, the idea that the art objects
were produced by cold work makes them even more impressive
examples of the skill of the worker than if they were mere castings.

It would be rather impressive if the worker knew how to use
a variety of techniques.

It is even more impressive when the worker knows enough to choose
the most appropriate technique for the material being worked. In the
case of nearly pure native copper, that technique is *not* casting.

Gary