Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham. Graham. is offline

Default How to test satellite dish connection

wrote in message
Thanks for the replies guys.

I did the diode test on the coax socket in the wall - one way gave a
zero reading and the other way a positive value.

I also confirmed I was getting DC voltage on the cable coming from the
set top box.

The LNB setup menu still said no satellite signal.

I know for a fact that the dish was secured to a fixed position by a
workman when he noticed it was swinging about just after moving in. I
guess there is a very high chance that the dish is no longer pointing
in the right direction.

Where would I go from here? I've heard about dish meters that help you
align the dish, but is it something that someone with moderate DIY
skills can do?

If what you say about the workman is true, then
I would say there is zero chance that it is pointing the right way.

If we assume for the time being that the dish wasn't disturbed
in its up and down (elevation adjustment), and only the sideways
(azimuth) setting was disturbed, than that makes your task a
whole lot easier.
Is it just a Sky setup?
Is it possible to position a TV so you can see the screen while
you adjust the dish? It is quite possible to do this using only
the signal test facility on the Digibox, you need to swing the
dish a very small amount then wait 5 seconds for a response
from the dish (it's not instant) then swing it a bit more etc.
What you are initially looking for is the signal lock to indicator
to change to "OK" then make a fine adjustment for maximum
signal quality.

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%