John Greenwood

Default Worktop to wall (sealing)

Hi,

The walls in my kitchen are far from square and after fitting my worktop
there are gaps between the worktop and the wall of differing sizes at
various intervals along the 3m length. I didn't have the patience or skill
to plane the worktop to fit the wall.

I don't know the correct way to seal a worktop to the wall but I was going
to seal it to the wall with transparent silicone before tiling. After tiling
should I then run a bead of silicone along the tile/worktop edge or will the
grout be sufficient considering I have already sealed the worktop behind the
tiles.

But now that I have large gaps how do I seal the worktop to the wall or
should I forget this and just tile, bringing the tiles out from the wall
with large lumps of grout to cover the gaps.

Or should I fill the gaps with something and then seal with silicone and
then tile. If so what can I fill the gaps with so the silicone does not just
disappear down the back?

BTW, the exposed chipboard on the worktop edges have been sealed with PVA.

I don't want a rotten worktop in 2 years!

Thanks,

John