Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Electric Motor Speed Control

ransley wrote:
On Dec 3, 7:16 pm, "Ralph Mowery" wrote:
"---MIKE---" wrote in message

You can't change the speed of an AC motor. The speed is governed by the
60 cycle current.

---MIKE---In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

While the speed is determined by the frequency , it is easy to change the
speed. Just use an inverter such as:

http://www.emservicenter.com/Yaskawa.cfm

Where I work we have 100's of them. They range from fractional horse power
to over 100 HP motors.

For small motors , it may cost as much or more than the motor.

A problem with variable frequency drives is they all (as far as I know)
require a 3 phase motor (not likely for the OP's motor).

With a single phase motor one problem with controlling speed is the
start winding will be reconnected at low speeds (most designs).

For a table fan I use an x10 controler and do it remotely, I dont know
what type of motor the fan is but X10 might have something, but 1hp
draws alot of current

Universal/brush-type motor (as Jeff suggests)?

--
bud--