Posted to rec.woodworking
DonkeyHody DonkeyHody is offline

Default Which has the better cordless 18v. drill: Bosch or Hitachi?

Bosch, Hitachi, Makita, Milwaukee, Dewalt, Porter Cable or Panasonic
(did I leave anybody out?) but NOT Ryobi, Craftsman, Skil or Black &
Decker. Find the one in the first group that feels best in your hand,
has the best balance etc. Buy that one. I was impressed with the
black & white 18 Volt Makita I picked up the other day, but it was
$200. The pro-quality tools will all do a fine job for you. Don't
agonize too much over the decision because this won't be the last
cordless drill you buy. You won't be passing this one down to your
grandchildren. Batteries die. Some last longer than others, but they
all die. I never got more than about 6 years of good service from
one. I've got two perfectly good drill motors hanging on my wall
hoping that someday I run across a good deal on batteries for them.
Two new batteries (if you can still get them by the time the old ones
die) cost almost as much as an entire kit with drill, charger and two
of the newest gee-whiz batteries that are smaller, lighter, more
powerful and promise to last a gazillion cycles. There's always a new
technology around the corner. So, you buy a new kit and hang on to
the old one hoping that someday you'll run across a good deal on
batteries for it.

DonkeyHody
"In theory, theory and practice are the same, but in practice they are
not."