Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default do all projects end like this?

Nate Nagel wrote:

Today's project: replace the sink strainer in the kitchen sink (it was
of unknown - probably geriatric - age, stopper didn't seal, couldn't
find a replacement stopper to fit) along with the P-trap (was PVC, one
fitting was cracked and leaking) ended up having to get a new
tailpiece extension as well as the new strainer was shallower than the
old one, also some hose and clamps for the dishwasher drain as that
looked pretty shaggy. Ended up having to Sawzall out the old strainer
assy. as it simply would not come out of the sink. Put everything
together, pat self on back... remove old sprayer hose etc. from the
sink, as it isn't hooked to anything and looks like crap... ended up
having to Sawzall that out too, couldn't bust it loose to save my
life. Total bill so far about $80 (had to buy a strainer wrench too
as I didn't have one, and didn't have a wrench big enough to tighten
the strainer nut...) girlie washes some dishes, there's still water
on the floor of the cabinet. Crawl under, it's coming from underneath
the faucet. Well, there's no sense pulling and resealing the faucet
even though it's a decent Delta faucet, because it doesn't have the
sprayer hose attachment and the girlie wants that. To add insult to
injury, was laying on my back looking up at all this stuff and here
while the sink is stainless steel, the little rails that the clamps
that hold it to the countertop clip to are mild steel, rusted to s**t,
and disintegrating. So now I'm waiting for her to come back from
wherever she's at to drag her shopping for a new faucet AND SINK...

Do all around-the-house projects end up like this? If so, I might
just have to stop fixing stuff and start placing buckets strategically.

nate

Be more charitable next time - help support your local plumber )