Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Lights dim, brighten & appliances slow

In article , "Joseph Meehan" wrote:

wrote in message
Here in the last week and a half we have been having strange things
going on with our electricity. The lights dim and flicker. When we
try to turn on the microwave the lights will dim (& sometimes brighten
instead)

That means you have a poor or disconnected (open) neutral. (That should
be the white wire)

THIS CAN BE DANGEROUS AND CAUSE A FIRE OR DAMAGE ELECTRIC APPLIANCES.

The fact that you did not know what it is leads me to suggest calling the
electrician now.

Yeah -- but I think I'd call a different electrician. The OP's description of
the symptoms is a clear indication of an open neutral, and any competent
electrician should have spotted that immediately.

In my opinion, though, before calling an electrician, the OP should call the
power company back first, and insist that they come out and check for loose
connections on the neutral, all the way from the transformer to the meter
base. Call an electrician only if the power company verifies that *their* side
is all good.

--
Regards,