Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default Snowblower Idle Problem

MLD wrote:
Have a 5HP Areins snowblower that will stall if the throttle is set in the
Idle position. The only adjustment is the screw at the bottom of the
(fuel/carburetor) bowl. Have tried various settings but none will eliminate
the Idle stall. Finally, just adjusted the screw for the optimum high speed
setting. Manual has no instructions for adjusting engine speed other than
letting an authorized service man do it. Anyone know of a way to resolve the
Idle speed problem?
MLD

Will it idle OK if the lever is set just a bit above its "idle position"?

If so, the problem might just be that when the throttle lever is set to
the idle position it moves so far that it closes an ignition "kill switch".

I had just that problem with a B&S vertical shaft engine on my lawnmower
this year. I cured it by repositioning the end of the flexible throttle
cable's jacket in it's clamp near the carb so that when the lever was
set at "idle" that kill switch was still open.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia