Vincent Coppola

Default Inner threading turning tool out of HSS...Need for astronomy project

Richard J Kinch wrote in message ...
Vincent Coppola writes:

Does someone have a dimension or procedure for grinding such a
tool to work with aluminum?

I use a band saw (or hack saw) to cut a 1/8" notch across the end of some
1/2" mild steel rod, braze in a length of 1/8" square HSS crosswise, and
grind that to a 60 degree tip with 10 degrees relief. This yields
essentially a boring bar, but with a threading profile. Then I hold that in
a boring bar holder on the toolpost.

This is a cool idea. One suggestion I heard was to file a square hole
in a rod, grind an HSS tool, insert it and hold it with a set screw.
Your way sounds easier only I don't have any welding equipment. I do
have a propane torch but I don't think that gets hot enough to braze.
What would you suggest I purchase to do a small job like this
repeatably?

Vince