Posted to alt.home.repair
Zyp Zyp is offline

Default Gas Furnace flame color & efficiency

RichK wrote:
Hi All,

With heating season starting in my area, I was changing the filter.
Started the furnace to check the flame. Flame on all 3 burners are
blue for about 1-1.5 inch, but above that they are yellow. Furnace
is 20 years old Lenox.

Is there are efficiency problem with the flames as described above?

Thanks,

RichK

1) Are you sure the flame tips are yellow, or are they orange?

2) If they are yellow, your likely not burning efficiently. Your primary
air is lacking. This can cause sooting and heat exchanger impingment. A
cool flame is not only inefficient, it's dangerous. Sooting causes the heat
exchanger to become blocked and will inhibit the products of combustion from
traveling out the flue.

You should call a professional who can observe, and make adjustments to your
furance as needed.

--
Zyp