dg

Default Bedroom or boxroom?

The housing act lays down some standards - ie the minimum bedroom size for
a child under 10 is 50sq feet (4.65m2), and for an adult it is 70 sq feet
(6.51m2), but this is just for LA housing or rental accomodation.

This is based on the Parker-Morris review in the 60's, but the private
sector did not tend to adopt the size guides.

There are few rules for descriptions, but a "bedroom" must be able to fit a
bed in it (not any other furniture as well) for it to be classed as suitable
for sleeping in.

For planning purposes, some LA's have adopted their own size standards for
situations that require planning approval. Yours would not.

dg

"David" wrote in message
om...
Hi
Does anybody know what constitutes the minimum dimensions to define a
bedroom as such? I'm really talking about estate agent parlance -
they can't get away with describing something as a bedroom when it's
really a cupboard.

Are the rules different for new builds as compared to existing
properties? Reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking of creating a
third bedroom in a property I'm buying by putting up a stud partition
and although personally I'm happy that the room will be big enough, I
don't want to get it wrong, especially when it comes to resale.

Thanks
David