Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default Window that you can see out but not see in

"Lee" wrote in message
. ..
So it's a matter of tinting? I thought it's more than that, some sort

of
polarized glass? If it's just a matter of tinting I wonder why they
wouldn't even quote me.

Or may be they thought I was talking about this:

http://www.polytronix.com/privacyglass.htm

If you're just looking for privacy, you can also get decorative window
films. They make mirror type ones, patterned like crinkly looking ones,
and decorative stained glass looking ones. For privacy, what about glass
block? That would take care of the privacy and sturdiness factor. I
currently have transparent textured contact paper on my bathroom window,
as a do-it-yourself privacy measure. It lets the light in, but doesn't let
you see through from either direction though.

I have a unique situation.

It is a bathroom window. I would like to be able to open that window from
time to time for ventilation or view purposes.

I personally do not like glass blocks.

Even though it is an exterior window on a concrete block wall, it is
exterior to the inside, meaning it is a house with an interior courtyard
with the house on all four sides, so that window does not look into the yard
or street, it looks into a planter area with hanging orchids, and other
plants, so it's pretty obscured. It also makes it a very nice view.

For that reason I would like to be able to see out even while taking a
shower, if possible.

Glass block or obscured glass do not serve that purpose.

Also, normal obscured glasses in a window for some reason do not appeal to
me, frosted glass look cleaner and better. So I was just looking for
something specific and I think the one way glass would do what I want, if
it's affordable. I saw it in a hotel and my friend told me even with the
room light turned on, you cannot see from outside in and I tried it and he
is right. However, it does seem to not let too much light in, so I think
another poster's opinion about it being a mirror film embedded in between
panes of glasses is correct.

I will make a few calls to see what I find.

Thanks!

MC