Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default Window that you can see out but not see in

"Harry K" wrote in message
On Nov 21, 6:32 pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I have seen in some hotels that they have windows facing a corridor,
hallway
or outside. You can see out but cannot see in. It is more than just
"tinting".

I am looking to replace a few of my windows at home, and I asked for
quotes
for non-impact windows and impact windows. I also asked the window
companies if they have windows that can see out but not in, they all said
me "no not for residential it's only for commercial" and when I asked
them
to give me a ball park figure they wouldn't even do that and just said
"trust me, it's VERY expensive".

What is so special about those windows? Is it a special glass? or is it
something you can "apply" onto ordinary glass afterwards? Are we talking
about 10 times more expensive? I have a large picture window inside the
shower facing an interior courtyard, right now I am planning on using
hurricane impact obscured glass window, I thought I ought to consider
this
other option but I can't even get a price!

MC

In most cases, the "one-way" glass depends on the obscured side to be
darker than the viewers side. It will reverse just by reversing the
lighting. If you want it, you can have it tinted by the same places
that tint auto glass.

Our control room in the jail had the film application method. Worked
great until you turned the lighting up in the control room, then it
was as if there were no film at all.

Harry K

So it's a matter of tinting? I thought it's more than that, some sort of
polarized glass? If it's just a matter of tinting I wonder why they
wouldn't even quote me.

Or may be they thought I was talking about this:

http://www.polytronix.com/privacyglass.htm

I was not.

Thanks,

MC