Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Window that you can see out but not see in

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I have seen in some hotels that they have windows facing a corridor,
hallway or outside. You can see out but cannot see in. It is more than
just "tinting".

I am looking to replace a few of my windows at home, and I asked for
quotes for non-impact windows and impact windows. I also asked the window
companies if they have windows that can see out but not in, they all said
to me "no not for residential it's only for commercial" and when I asked
them to give me a ball park figure they wouldn't even do that and just
said "trust me, it's VERY expensive".

What is so special about those windows? Is it a special glass? or is it
something you can "apply" onto ordinary glass afterwards? Are we talking
about 10 times more expensive? I have a large picture window inside the
shower facing an interior courtyard, right now I am planning on using
hurricane impact obscured glass window, I thought I ought to consider this
other option but I can't even get a price!

MC

Even though the two types of businesses overlap to an extent, I've found two
totally different categories in the yellow pages phone book: Windows and
Glass. The first tends to be oriented toward residential window replacement,
and the second toward commercial situations. Call some dealers in the second
category. If someone tells you it's too expensive, ask to speak to someone
who's not afraid to quote prices. Get pushy.