Posted to alt.home.repair
JohnnyC JohnnyC is offline

Default White powdery substance on basement walls - a problem?

http://www.cement.org/tech/faq_efflorescence.asp

"Joe" wrote in message
Is this normal or is it a sign that I need to do something. I bought
the house last year and the house inspector didn't mention it as a
problem but now I read online ads from waterproofing companies that
it's a sign that moisture is seeping through my foundation. I'm going
to have a contractor come in to look at it this weekend but I
understand that there are a lot of scare tactics employed by these
folks to get people to overspend on waterproofing so I'd appreciate
some education on what's normal and what is a problem.