Martin H. Eastburn

Default Origin of Hex Head Nuts/bolts?

Davidlindq wrote:
"CWLee" wrote in message

Can anyone here point me toward an authoritative history of
hex head nuts and bolts? I see square nuts and bolts in old
machinery and tools in museums, but I don't think I've seen
a hex head nut or bolt in anything built before 1900. Does
anyone know who invented/developed the hex head nuts and
bolts? When, where, why, etc? Any info on this topic
appreciated.

This isn't authoratative history, but I've seen photographs of Civil War era
seacoast mortars where it can be clearly seen that the carriage is assemled
with square head bolts and HEX head nuts.
David

David Lindquist

Wonder if the Hex head nuts were from Henry or Sharps - e.g.
Threaded rifle barrel that failed for other reasons.

Seems logical - need two wrenches anyway - might be the production issue.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer