The Masked Marvel

Default Origin of Hex Head Nuts/bolts?

Not to mention the "constant depression" carbs (as opposed to "constant
area", among other adjectives). and Lucas, the prince of darkness (and the
reason the brits drink warm beer: Lucas refrigerators), but I don't have an
answer to hex vs square heads.

"Rex B" wrote in message
On Mon, 31 May 2004 08:41:06 +0100, "Leon Heller"

wrote:

||"CWLee" wrote in message
|| Can anyone here point me toward an authoritative history of
|| hex head nuts and bolts? I see square nuts and bolts in old
|| machinery and tools in museums, but I don't think I've seen
|| a hex head nut or bolt in anything built before 1900. Does
|| anyone know who invented/developed the hex head nuts and
|| bolts? When, where, why, etc? Any info on this topic
|| appreciated.
||Probably Sir Joseph Whitworth - he standardised the threads used in

screws
||and bolts in 1841 and must have standardised the heads as well. There

was a
||TV program about him recently here in the UK.

And every kid who bought a ratty TR4 in the 1960's knows the name

Whitwort,
although most thought his first name was "Goddam".
Texas Parts Guy